In the previous article of this series, we covered some of the things that well owners must know about water wells. In this article, we take this discussion a little more forward and discuss the mistakes that one must avoid to protect oneself from having to pay hefty cheques in the long run. Let us remind you that this is not a DIY guide, it’s just a compilation of suggestions one must keep in their mind while hiring a water well expert to solve a water well-related problem.
This is the first thing we wish to highlight: never try to solve water well problems on your own. If there is a problem you see, immediately hire a professional. Do not rely on just anyone. Find someone trained, experienced and certified and trust only them. You may want to save a few bucks by hiring someone less experienced but know that even a small mistake they make might cost you a fortune in the long run.
Here are a few things you must keep in mind while hiring a water well expert.
- Find out the licensing requirements for your state and make sure the person you are hiring complies with these requirements.
- The person you have hired for drilling your water well or installing your water well pump must have received a certificate of approval from the National Ground Water Well Association.
- Make sure that the professional you are hiring submits well logs. What is a water well log? A well log is an important document that highlights crucial information related to the drilling process as well as the situation of the area where the water well is located.
- You must also make sure that the contractor you are hiring to do the job has the tools required to do the task.
- They must also be insured. You don’t want to end up being financially responsible for any mistakes that happen while the work on your property is going on.
- Always ask for referrals and references. If possible, talk to your contractor’s past clients. If you are hiring an individual, look for testimonials. If you are hiring a company, be sure of its reputation before signing any contract.
- Before signing any contract, ask your contractor to explain to you what they plan to do on your property and get them to write everything in the contract.
- Ask questions. Ask as many questions as you can. A good contractor will be patient with you and answer all your queries.
- Lastly, ask all your chosen contractors to provide you with written cost estimates. They must mention and elaborate on the cost estimates in their contract. When a contractor mentions cost estimates in a contract, they are obliged to stick to it because the price you have agreed upon is the price you are obliged to pay your contractor. Therefore, they will try their best to stick to it. Further, when the contract mentions a price estimate and your contractor fails to stick to it, you can seek legal recourse as well.
If there is any problem with your water well, hire a reputed expert. This way, you will be able to maintain the health of your water well and therefore, save big money in the long run.
Give Ries Well Drilling Inc a call to answer any questions you may have about well water drilling, well water maintenance, or anything well water-related. We can be reached at (586) 784-9516!
We provide Water Well Drilling Services in the following Michigan Counties: